There are many ways you could prevent acne, below are 10 tips which can help:
- Keep your face clean – Whether or not you have acne, it’s important to wash your face twice daily to remove impurities, dead skin cells and extra oil from your skin’s surface. You can use lukewarm, not hot water to wash your face and also avoid scrubbing your skin harshly with a washcloth, an exfoliating glove or loofah.
- Moisturize – Many acne products contain ingredients that dry the skin, so always use a moisturizer that minimizes dryness and skin peeling
- Try an over-the-counter (OCT) acne product – These acne products don’t need a prescription. They may have ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or lactic acid, which curb bacteria and dry your skin.
- Use makeup sparingly – During a breakout, avoid wearing foundation, powder or blush, if you do wear makeup, wash it off at the end of the day. If possible choose oil-free cosmetics without added dyes and chemicals.
- Watch what you put on your hair – Avoid using fragrances, oils, pomades or gels on your hair. If it comes in contact with your skin, it blocks your skin irritates your skin. Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Keep your hands off your face – Avoid touching your face or propping your cheek or chin with your hands. Also stay out of the sun as its ultraviolet rays can increase the inflammation and redness, and can cause post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Some acne medications may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Limit your time in the sun especially between 10 am to 2 pm.
- Feed your skin – Most experts agree that certain food items like chocolate, burgers don’t cause pimples. Still, it makes sense to avoid greasy and junk food. Instead, you can add more fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains to your diet. Dairy products and food high in processed sugar may trigger acne.
- Exercise Daily – Regular exercise is good for your whole body, including your skin. Shower or bathe right after exercise.
- Rest – Some studies link stress with the severity of pimples or acne. Ask yourself what’s making you feel stressed. Then look for solutions.
*Reference – Internet.
Dr. K Balachandran
Aster Jubilee Medical Complex Beauty Clinic (Bur Dubai)