It is not possible for one to pass through teenage without a few complaints about the skin. It could be pimples, sudden breakouts, acne, dry/oily skin, the complaints could be various. Teenage is an experimental time, everybody is just eager to grow up. The minute you discover your feminity or even masculinity, you are eager to try out and duplicate what adults do.
It is true that the summer heat can damage your skin and cause pimples, dark spots etc., you need to start spending sometime knowing your skin and following a healthy skin care routine in order to maintain it soft, glowing and healthy.
The major causes of skin problems during teenage years are;
- Hormonal changes caused in the body
- Lack of knowledge about the skin type
- Poor skin care routine which is necessary given the amount of time they spend outdoors
- Lack of poor knowledge about an ideal skin care routine
As teenagers, it is normal to be fascinated with all the fancy skincare products available in the market. However, it is not advisable to use just anything that you get your hands on. Always take advice from an adult who would be able to better guide you on what you need to use.
- Before you start any kind of skin care routine, it is essential to understand your skin type, whether it is dry, oily, normal or combination skin. This will help identify the right kind of skin care products that you need to use.
- Avoid using too many products at the same time as your skin is rather delicate during the teen years and too many products may cause a reaction. This could cause breakouts and surely you wouldn’t want that.
- Do not always follow recommendations and go by skin products that have worked for your friends. This is the time you undergo puberty and your body experiences a lot of hormonal changes. Your skin would be different from that of your friends and what has worked for her may not necessarily work for you.
- Clean your face twice a day with water and a good facewash that suits your skin type. Once you wash your do not rub your face with the towel, only pat dry. Exfoliate your skin with a gentle scrub once a week.
- Moisturize your skin regularly with a good moisturizing cream. The summer weather tends to dehydrate the skin, making it dry and dull. Choose a non-greasy moisturizer that stays on for long. Opt for one that is gel based.
- Use a sun screen without fail. Do not step out into the sun without applying sunscreen on parts of your body that ae exposed to the sun. The summer heat in Dubai tends to get considerably extreme, hence making it important to wear a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. SPF is sun protection factor, which explains the level of protection a particular sunscreen provides you from the harmful UV rays. Most people generally apply sunscreen once in the morning and forget about it. However, in order to have ample protection from the heat, it is necessary to reapply sunscreen every 1-2 hours.
- Always carry sun protection accessories like sunglasses and scarves with you when you are out in the sun.
- We have all heard of tales like applying toothpaste on a pimple and leaving it overnight for it disappear quickly. Do not follow such odd remedies, since that could worsen matters for you skin. However, do not break pimple with your hands as that could definitely worsen the issue.
- Make it a point to drink plenty of water. Summer calls to keep the skin hydrated at all times, and this will help bring a natural healthy feel on the skin. Water will also help clean impurities internally. Avoid aerated drinks and substitute them with fruit juices with no added sugar, lime juice, coconut water etc.
- Eat a balanced diet, filled with nutritious fruits and vegetables. Consumer fruits that are high in water content.
- Girls these days are quite obsessed with wearing makeup. During the summer time try to avoid too much heavy makeup. If you must wear makeup, ensure to cleanse your skin completely by the end of the day and let your skin breathe. Use water proof make up in the summer.
- Get adequate amounts of sleep, we know that teenage years can take a toll on your sleep patterns with late night studies. However, try to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep daily.
Following these simple yet important steps will help keep any kind of skin problems at bay. Do not avoid consulting a dermatologist in case of persistence in any skin problems like acne, pimples, heat boils etc. It is always best to treat and manage conditions in its early stage to avoid severe consequences later in life.