Food takes on special significance during Ramadan. Make this Ramadan healthy with our special recipes for your Suhoor and Iftar menu. Root for healthy options with this Beetroot Burger recipe.
· 3 tbsp olive oil
· 1 finely chopped onion
· 2 crushed garlic cloves
· 2 peeled and grated beetroots
· 1 grated courgette
· 2 peeled and grated large carrots
· 100g/3½oz porridge oats
· 400g drained tin chickpeas
· 3 tbsp tahini
· 1 large free-range egg yolk
· 4 thinly sliced spring onions
· 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
· freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
· May add hummus, avocados, beansprouts, red cabbage for garnishing
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil on a frying pan over medium heat. Shallow fry onion and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes until they get soft. Add all the grated vegetables to it and drain away all the excess water released by them.
2. Mix oats, chickpeas, tahini and egg yolk in a food processor. After that, tip the mixture into a bowl and add the grated vegetables, spring onions and coriander to it. Season it perfectly with sea salt and pepper.
3. Divide the mixture into six parts and shape them into burgers. Cover it and refrigerate that at least for 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
4. Meanwhile, for salad preparation, place a griddle pan over a high heat or preheat a barbecue.
5. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the sweet potatoes and halloumi slices. Sprinkle some garlic, chillies and season it with black pepper. Cook it on a hot griddle or one can even barbecue it.
6. On the other side, heat all the dressing in a bowl and add salad leaves & cooked beatroots in it.
7. Meanwhile, beat together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl. Mix it with the salad leaves and cooked beetroots and set aside.
8. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the burgers, in batches if necessary, for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until they turn gold.
9. To serve, lightly toast the sourdough buns and top each base with hummus, avocado, beansprouts, red cabbage, a beetroot burger and the bun lid.
Serve your burger with a handful of salad leaves and top it with grilled sweet potatoes and halloumi.