Fasting in Ramadan has a number of health benefits if done properly. But fasting in this sweltering heat can have a negative impact if you do not take the necessary precautions, and this can lead to constipation, heart burns, dehydration, irritability or lack of concentration.
What are some of the benefits of fasting?
- It promotes weight loss
- It helps remove toxins from the body
- It lowers LDL cholesterol and triglycerides
- It plays a major role in stabilizing insulin sensitivity
- It provides a better control on blood pressure and diabetes
- It leads to a state of increased mental well-being
What are the bodily changes that occur during fasting?
In the normal state glucose is the main source of energy which is stored in muscles and liver. During fasting, glucose is used first followed by fats once the glucose runs out.