We have all heard the phrase ‘Health is Wealth’, but how often do we take this seriously? All of us at some point or the other have taken our health for granted. Only when our health begins to deteriorate do we realize how long we spent leading it to that stage, despite knowing that our actions would lead to severe consequences.
Being healthy does not mean just looking thin or fit. An individual is healthy only if he is physically and mentally healthy.
- Physical Health:
Physical health is majorly related to what keeps the body functioning effectively, it depicts the external well-being of an individual.
- The importance of consuming a healthy balanced diet is enough stressed upon already. A balanced diet is one comprising of essential fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, and dairy.
- Avoid junk food completely. Indulging and giving into your cravings is acceptable once in a while. However, it is recommended to cut off completely from oily, fried and fatty foods.
- Do not follow fad diets and avoid eating the essential nutrients your body requires. A balanced meal is one that contains essential elements from all food groups. Most people tend to believe that carbohydrates are fattening and avoid them completely. It is important to know the difference between good carbs and bad carbs and consult with a dietician who would best recommend a suitable diet.
- Stay hydrated at all times by drinking lots of water and eating foods high in water content
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle by avoiding unhealthy habits like smoking and cut down on drinking.
- Make some form of physical activity a part of your daily routine. Stay active and involve in any form of physical activity to stay physically fit.
- Schedule regular appointments with healthcare practitioners in order to understand how your body is functioning and to aid in early diagnosis in case of a medical condition.
- Mental Health:
The term mental health is still a taboo and people often shy away when it comes to mental health issues. Mental health is just the emotional and psychological state of an individual.
- Learn to de-stress yourself every now and then. Stress often causes distress and imbalance in life. People with high levels of stress tend to be unhappy, they tend to eat more, sleep less all leading to an unhealthy life. Stress is a part of life and it is necessary to deal with it effectively to maintain one’s sanity.
- Get adequate amounts sleep as lack of sleep can cause emotional problems. Fix a schedule for yourself and abide by it. Your waking up and sleep timings should be fixed, as it will help in maintaining an ideal sleep-wake cycle. Adequate sleep will also help you wake up feeling fresh and energetic the next day.
- Establish and maintain healthy personal and professional relationships as they help in enriching your life with support, love, and understanding. We are all social animals seeking acceptance and support from each other, hence making it extremely important to build positive relationships.
- If you need help, do not hesitate to seek it. In some cases, at some point in time if you feel that something is not going well for you despite trying, do not hesitate and speak up. Seek medical assistance when required.
- Spend some time with yourself. Balance is very important in every individual’s life. Maintain a healthy work-life balance and make sure you dedicate some time on and for yourself by doing what you want to do.
Poor mental health can contribute to the poor physical health and vice versa. Physical and mental health and well-being go hand in hand and overall health can only be achieved if an individual aims at holistic well-being. Every year, the 7th of April is recognized as World Health Day in order to create awareness about the importance of health and to ensure that everyone everywhere has access to good health. This World Health Day 2018, let us all pledge to take charge of our own health and empower those around us with information about the importance of maintaining good health and aim for health for all.
Internal Medicine Specialist
Aster Clinic, Bur Dubai (AJMC)