Diabetes mellitus is a chronic condition that can lead to complications over time. These complications can include:
- Coronary heart diseases, which can lead to a heart attack
- Cerebrovascular diseases which can lead to a stroke
- Retinoplasty (disease of the eye) which can lead to blindness
- Nephropathy (disease of the kidney) which can lead to kidney failure and the need for dialysis
- Neuropathy (disease of the nerves) which can lead to, among other things, ulceration of the foot requiring amputation.
Many of these complications produce no symptoms in the early stages, and most can be prevented or minimized with a combination of regular medical care and blood sugar monitoring. (more…)